**Closed for further applications**
Wild Horse Brewing Co is an independent, rapidly growing business based in the seaside town of Llandudno on the North Wales coast. Now in our ninth year, our focus is on producing high quality, modern craft beer for drinkers across Wales, North West England and beyond.
Thanks to our continued growth we have an exciting opportunity for a Trainee Brewer to join our established production team. This role will provide the successful candidate with the opportunity to turn an existing interest in beer production into a rewarding career in the brewing industry by undertaking on-the-job training while studying for formal brewing qualifications over the course of a two-year Traineeship programme.
Craft beer is an exciting and diverse industry full of opportunity, and this traineeship will lay the foundations for the successful candidate to forge a career in brewing. By the end of the programme you will have gained an internationally recognised brewing qualification through the Institute of Brewing and Distilling (IBD) alongside the practical skills needed to produce beer, from grain to glass.
This traineeship may suit someone who has previously studied science (e.g. Biology, Chemistry, Food Science), engineering (e.g. Chemical, Process) or similar, or has experience working in a production environment including in food production and hospitality.
Wild Horse Brewing Co is an Equal Opportunities and accredited Living Wage Foundation employer. We welcome applications from people from any background, ethnic or national origin or gender orientation. As a business we aim to create a positive work-life balance for all our employees and take a proactive approach to staff welfare and wellbeing.
The ideal candidate will:
• Have completed a qualification in further education (e.g. HND, university degree, etc.), have experience in a similar industry (e.g. food production) or both
• Be able to demonstrate an established interest in beer and beer production
• Take an organised, structured approach to work, being able to perform tasks accurately and consistently
• Have strong communication skills, approaching work with honesty and integrity
• Have the ability to multi-task and manage challenging circumstances associated with a fast-paced and constantly evolving working environment
• Be IT literate, quickly able to learn how to use our in-house software packages
• Have a positive, proactive attitude towards work
• Have the right to live and work in the UK
Other ‘nice to haves’ include:
• An interest in the creative side of the brewery, including contributing new beer ideas and label artwork concepts
• The ability to communicate in Welsh
DUTIES AND KEY RESPONSIBILITIES TO INCLUDE
• Packaging beer, filling kegs (and occasionally casks) and assisting with canning
• Preparing for brew days including grain handling and milling, operating our Alan Ruddock precision mill
• Cleaning / sanitation of the brew-house, fermentation vessels and packaging equipment
• Maintaining a high standard of hygiene throughout the brewery
• Wort production operating our 16HL DME dual-vessel brew-house
• Cellar management including fermentation checks, dry-hopping, yeast management, preparing beer for packaging
• Quality control and lab work
• Canning, using our Microcan CL5 canning line
• Detailed and accurate record-keeping across all aspects of production
• The opportunity to represent the brewery at events
We know that sometimes people can be put off applying for a job if they don't tick every box. If you're excited about working for us and have most of the skills or experience we're looking for, please go ahead and apply. We'd love to hear from you!
• 40 hours per week
• Regular work days are Monday to Friday
• Weekend work will be required as part of a ‘cellaring rota’ (no more than 1 weekend in 4) – this will start once proper training has been completed
SALARY / BENEFITS
• £22,700 per year
• 4 weeks (20 days) paid holiday plus bank holidays, increasing by 1 day per year after 1 full holiday year is completed (to a maximum of 27 days)
• Company pension contributions
• Private medical insurance (after probationary period)
• Generous Wild Horse beer allowance + staff discount
• Paid for training as per the Traineeship programme (e.g. IBD, Brewlab)
• Cycle to Work scheme
• Staff uniform (t-shirts and hoodies) and all required PPE
• Staff kitchen and breakout area with locally roasted coffee and tea provided
• Monthly team lunches and monthly afterwork pint at local micro pub
Please click here to submit your application. As part of the application form, you will be asked 4 questions about yourself and need to submit your CV in PDF format.
Deadline for applications: Monday 28th August 2023
Candidates will be shortlisted for interview during w/c 28th August
We plan to interview between 2 and 4 people during the w/c 4th September 2023
Decision mid-September 2023
Role to start as soon as successful candidate is available
If you have any questions about the role or how we work please get in touch via firstname.lastname@example.org.